Content Warning: Christianity, Lent, faith
Last year, I decided to do my first ever blog post about lent, being Catholic, all that fun stuff. I was so nervous to share it because I had never once spoke about my faith, & to be honest I still don’t talk much about it. I’m not the best at going to church & praying even but there is a part of me that wishes I did more.
So today is Ash Wednesday (it seems too early for that but apparently Easter is early this year).
Lent lasts for 40 days & begins the day following Shrove Tuesday, on Ash Wednesday (today!), There are actually 46 days in between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday, but Sundays during Lent on not considered to be “prescribed.” Lent is supposed to be the season of reflection and preparation before the Easter Celebrations & Jesus’ resurrection.
Last year I gave up/tried to discipline myself were: Candy & Popcorn, Keep My Room Clean, Mindless Spending & Meatless Mondays & Fridays. My follow up to the original lent post had me confessing that yes, I broke all those so. You can read the whole post on that here. Here goes nothing maybe, just maybe this year I will get through it.
What Lent disciplines am I ready to take on this year?
My Lent Sacrifices of 2020:
- Drinking 20 oz of water first thing every morning: Random I know. But I want to make sure I’m drinking enough water & usually I don’t drink enough first thing in the morning. I’ve actually done this the last few days & its been really refreshing & really helped my digestive track.
- Snoozing My Alarm: Random I know, but I’ve gotten into a bad habit & i really need to start actually getting up when I plan to! Also, this starts tomorrow because I might have hit snooze once this morning
- Mindless Scrolling: Yes, you know what I mean. Scrolling Instagram or Twitter or anything just because you are bored. I find myself actually doing it way to much & often during work hours & before bed, I want be more mindful about that
- Mindless Snacking: Might as well see if this can help me out! Like instead of snacking for hours around lunch, why not just have my lunch (I’m weird I know).
- Meatless Fridays & one other day: I’m trying this again & I mean your not supposed to eat meat on Friday’s anyways, I also want to start eating a little less meat these days. So two days a week will be a good place to start & a tough one at that!
This is going to be tough. Hopefully this year, I won’t cave as early as I did last year. Plus it’s only 40 days… Wish me luck!
Are you giving up anything for Lent this year? Let me know in the comments!