Recently as part of my ‘Om-Work’ (Yoga Teacher Training Homework) we had to complete an experiment, I mean I know it’s not the most exciting thing to share but I fell like there is some sort of a lesson but also I felt like I was back in elementary school & I actually enjoyed it! I also ended up trying to get my whole family on board & encouraged them to participate in this experiment with me (sadly my brothers think I’m an odd-ball & wouldn’t participate, but at least my parents have my back). I decided to start the Apple Experiment in the first few days of April, it seemed like it was an easier way to track it. We only had to keep the halves in the same environment for a few days to a week, I chose 5 days, not a full week but just a little over a few days.
In a nutshell, the Apple Experiment goes like this: You cut an apple in half, place them on separate saucers or in bowls in the same environment. I placed one half by the window & the other half by the kitchen green bin. You have to speak kindly to one of the halves (this is the one I placed near the window) & the other half you speak unkindly to (this is the one placed by kitchen green bin).
Over five days, here is what I observed:
– Spoke very kindly to the apple by the window, kept saying it was pretty.
– Spoke unkind to the apple by the kitchen green bin, mentioned it was smelly & ugly.
– End of day: they looked the exact same…
– The kind words apple (thats my new name for it) is still looking quite fresh, not going brown just yet
– The disgusting apple (way to harsh I know..) is starting to look brown
– Kind word apple still looking pretty edible, nothing to significant going on
– The disgusting apple is starting to look rather unappealing, its getting brown & looking withered.
– End of day observation: starting to notice a difference between the two.
– Also, my brothers are now constantly calling me crazy for talking to apples ….
– Slowly starting to get annoyed with the results
– Hmm, end of day observation: slight difference but really nothing drastic
– I was so determined to see a difference I said ‘F-it’ (but actually swore) & left the apples out for one more day… Sorry fam
– The one negative apple clearly is a little more bruised & brown then the apple that was spoken to kindly
– Overall: there was a slight difference nothing to drastic
What was the point of this experiment?
Well this experiment is a way to show how your words & thoughts even affect not only you, others around you, but also living organisms. This was a great way to teach the importance of speaking kindly. Sadly, the experiment was said to show drastic differences, I however did not see any drastic changes. There is always next time…
The power of positivity & the power of kind words is a very strong force.
Overall: I had some fun with this, it kept me entertained & really helped me watch my words, which made me an overall nicer person to have a conversation with.
As Ellen always says “be kind to one another” but actually mean it!
& back to making sure my hockey pool is actually doing something tonight, wish me luck (I need it is I plan on beating my brothers & my dad)